Pivilion emerged as an extremely logical collab project at a time of extended telepresence opportunity in a time of scarcity in the cultural sector. (In order to show in a “regular” way, you would need to register, submit and upload your values to the hierarchical nature of the art/net systems and adapt to any existing Terms of Service and the paradigm of classical POV.)
While doing our first net themed collab research (powered by net.cube & G-MK) we articulated a (common) necessity to broaden the limits of our indicated art-void into a factual collaborative non-institutional (self-initiated and ideologically coherent) environment.
As we could notice the standardization of the online social spaces reflect the rigid institutional hierarchy; well structured but often overregulated and change reluctant – our goal was to enable initiators/initiatives to create own art spaces as truly rhizomatic focal points of freedom of speech and freedom of access to digital or digitalised cultural objects.
Main guidelines for our work were:
- building an uncensored network
- ensuring freedom of artistic intention
- hosting own data (digital or digitalized artwork) & security through community filtering
- de-centralization of content (shifting away focus from responses to content reception and articulation)
- reversing misconceptions forged around Tor & illegality of anonymity
- propagating cautiousness & cleverness (tech skillfulness also)
- empowering individuals in community areas previously unknown to them (darknet)
- supporting independent guerilla RL community events (like squatting any wifi w/ an expo)
Apart from the above goals oriented towards art-users, Pivilion aims to support the community of independent creators – artists, curators and cultural managers and their own methodologies of displaying ephemeral collections that may be fringe, nsfw, either mainstream or generally unacceptable, or basically outside any known paradigm. We hope for Pivilion to help art reflect the nature of ideas and accept the nature of the new media; fluid, free, variable and in the long run constructive in all of it’s (down or up)sides.